October 13th, 2023
Our Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) is looking for new members. We invite parents/caregivers of students currently enrolled in any of our schools to apply.
As a member of PIC, you have an opportunity to strengthen parent/caregiver partnership in education and be part of a committee dedicated to helping each student achieve their full potential. The committee collaborates with WRDSB staff to support, encourage and enhance parent engagement in children’s education, in order to improve student achievement and well-being.
PIC has a supportive relationship with the Waterloo Region Assembly of Public-School Councils (WRAPSC), but is a separate group. WRAPSC brings together school council representatives from across the Waterloo Region, whereas PIC is mandated by the Ministry of Education and supports the WRDSB with the voice of caregivers.
The committee meets four times a year and consists of parent volunteers and school board staff representatives. These meetings run from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. virtually and are mandatory for all members.
Meeting dates for the 2023/2024 school year:
- Tuesday, October 24, 2023 (this date may be subject to change)
- Tuesday, December 5, 2023
- Tuesday, February 27, 2024
- Tuesday, May 14, 2024
The role of the committee is to help inform school board staff on policies and issues that concern families. Members also organize activities to help families support their child’s learning at home and school. Members are encouraged to participate in subcommittees that need your help, involvement and support:
- Governance – reviewing our PIC bylaws and ensuring, compliance/relevance
- Membership – running the membership process and mentoring new members
- Communications – managing communications between board and families
- PRO Grant Events – organizing our annual parent engagement event
- SCIS – Safe, Caring, and Inclusive Schools – supporting schools in creating positive school climates
- New Immigrant Engagement – supporting newcomers integration into our education system and community
Additional sub-committee meetings will be planned and scheduled throughout the year, based on committee requirements and member availability. Each PIC member is required to sit on at least one subcommittee.
PIC promotes and supports the WRDSB commitments:
- Service by embracing an attitude of care and support.
- Integrity by matching our actions to our words.
- Respect by honouring all stakeholders.
- Innovation in a culture where new ideas are welcomed and considered.
- Collaboration through reaching out and listening to our stakeholders.
Interested parents/caregivers can find more information about PIC at www.wrdsb.ca/pic.
Apply today. The deadline is Wednesday, October 18.